You may choose an additional email address for your email account. The new address will be derived from your name, which may be easier to use. Your current email address (email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org) will continue to work; you will receive messages sent to both addresses.
Important note: This is an additional email address, not a new Username (PawPrint). You will still need to use your Username to log in to your technology accounts, including email, computer labs, Canvas, and other systems that require your Username and password to log in. Your password will not change.
Things to Know Before Personalizing your Email Address
- If you are a student, you cannot have a personalized email address if you have asserted Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA); the university is required to withhold your directory information, including your email account. If you assert FERPA after selecting a personalized email address, your personalized email address will be automatically removed within 24-48 hours without notice. Any mail sent to the personalized address will not be delivered.
- Choosing a personalized email address might cause issues with posting messages to on-campus or off-campus lists. Your new address may not be allowed to send to a listserv after enabling your new personalized email address. Unsubscribing and then resubscribing using your new address should fix this problem. Your ability to receive postings from the listserv should not be affected.
- Your sent messages will still appear to come from Last Name, First Name. However, your email in the address book will display as your new personalized address. For example, the email sender will show, “Tiger, Truman (MU-Student)”. However, the email address attached will no longer be the assigned username; instead, it will reflect the personalized address, such as TrumanTiger@mail.missouri.edu.
- Name changes – Once a name change (legal change or preferred name) has been updated in the PeopleSoft system (myZou or HR), new personalized email options will be available. If a user had previously selected a personalized email address that email address, the user will need to contact IT Support before they can pick a new, updated email address.
- Zoom Users – Existing Zoom users are encouraged not to change your email address because it will affect access to your existing Zoom account. New users who set up their email account before logging into Zoom for the first time will not be impacted. If you need assistance, please contact Missouri Online to have your account updated and restored: email@example.com.
- Options – Personalized email address options are automatically generated based on an individual name and not already reserved. The options are combinations of the user’s first name, middle initial, and last name.
How It Works
On the Personalize Email Address page, you will see a list of options derived from your name. You can only choose one personalized email address. Even though some letters may be capitalized, your new address will not be case-sensitive. After choosing your personalized email address, it may take up to an hour to go into effect.
Personalized Email Address Terms
Please read the following terms before proceeding to personalize your MU email address:
- This is a new email address and does not replace your University Username when logging in to University technology accounts.
- If you have asserted (or in the future choose to assert) the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), you are not eligible for a personalized email address. If you have already set up a personalized address, it will be removed without notice upon your assertion of FERPA.
- Creating a personalized email address may cause problems with some listservs to which you subscribe. You might need to unsubscribe and resubscribe to lists.
- Once you choose your personalized email address, it may take up to an hour to go into effect.
To Personalize Your Email Address
- Log in to the Authoritative Identity Management System (AIMS) with your university Username and Password to manage your account.
- Follow the directions to establish a personalized email address. It may take up to one hour before the personalized email goes into effect.
Once completed, emails you send will be received from your new address.
If you have had a name change, and would like an additional email address based on your updated name, please ensure your name has been updated in PeopleSoft (myZou or myHR). After PeopleSoft has been updated, please contact Tech Support at 573.882.5000.
Remove Personalized Email Address
If you would like to remove your personalized email address, please contact Tech Support at 573.882.5000.