Basic Virtual Servers
The Division of IT offers Basic Virtual Servers for workloads that do not need guaranteed performance, data protection, or high availability. This service is designed to minimize cost and is suited to hosting servers that are test and/or provide non-critical functions. Please see the Details for more information about what is included and not included before determining if this is the correct service for you.
The Division of IT offers Basic Virtual Servers for workloads that do not need guaranteed performance, data protection, or high availability. This service is designed to minimize cost and is suited to hosting servers that are test and/or provide non-critical functions.
The Terms & Conditions of this service are as follows:
Because this a low priority, unmanaged environment, the Division of IT will potentially take action to restrict problems in this environment without notice. Examples of this include security events, performance degradation, and critical maintenance. Once issues are contained, we will notify users through normal channels.
What it includes:
- Virtual servers for application testing and development without the full production cost
- No additional charge for Windows Server or Red Hat Enterprise Linux
- Seamless portability from this environment to the production Virtual Server Service
- Console access to power on/off virtual servers
- Minimal system administration assistance with setup and deployment
- A platform for functionality testing of new applications, vendors, and processes
- Segregation on non-production networks
- Limits on I/O per second (IOPS) per virtual machine to prevent servers from over-consuming resources
- A flat rate for the VM, no matter what size within the service limits
What it does not include:
- Ongoing system administration (patching, troubleshooting, etc)
- Self-service adjustments of RAM, CPU, and disk resources
- Backup of the virtual server or its attached storage
- Virtual server snapshots
- Replication of the virtual server or its data off-site
- On-call support
- Vendor maintenance for hardware, hypervisor, or operating systems
- A platform for performance testing
- System monitoring
- Unlimited server resources
- Support tickets for this environment will only be worked at low priority
- Individual virtual servers will be limited to 4 CPU, 8 GB RAM, and 250GB disk
Basic virtual servers are billed monthly at a flat rate of $40/server
payable by MoCode
This service is available to IT professionals across UM System
To obtain the Basic Virtual Server Service, please contact CSG through the Server and Administration Services consultation request form.
For additional assistance, contact Tech Support at 573.882.5000.