The Division of IT is in the process of migrating SharePoint 2010 to SharePoint Online. There are four parts to the migration: Pre-migration, Testing, Migration, and Post-migration.
Pre-migration of Site Collection
For each site collection, administrators will do the following:
- Determine the fate of stale subsites and delete or archive content. (IMPORTANT: Consult BPM-1001 Records Retention Guide before deleting content.)
- Review permissions, making sure appropriate team members have the appropriate access level.
- Confirm link URLs use the appropriate relative or absolute path (If the site collection’s URL is ever changed, will this URL work?)
- Document which lists/libraries have customized workflows, pages, or web parts.
- Remove stale gallery custom site templates
- Remove stale gallery custom web parts
- Determine if the site collection has DCL 4 data and/or has it been customized using SharePoint Designer or other development tools. If the answer is yes to either question, you will need a detailed consultation.
- Right before testing, cease all design changes to entire site collection until after migration and check in all pages, documents, and items.
Testing Migration of Site Collection
Migration of Site Collection to SharePoint Online
Post-migration of Site Collection