The Division of IT is in the process of migrating SharePoint 2010 to SharePoint 2016. There are four parts to the migration: Pre-migration, Testing, Migration, and Post-migration.
Pre-migration of Site Collection
For each site collection, administrators will do the following:
- Determine the fate of stale subsites and delete or archive content. (IMPORTANT: Consult BPM-1001 Records Retention Guide before deleting content.)
- Review permissions, making sure appropriate team members have the appropriate access level.
- Confirm link URLs use the appropriate relative or absolute path. (If the site collection’s URL is ever changed, will this URL work?)
- Document which lists/libraries have customized workflows, pages, or web parts.
- Remove stale gallery custom site templates.
- Remove stale gallery custom web parts.
- Determine if the site collection has DCL 4 data and/or has it been customized using SharePoint Designer or other development tools. If the answer is yes to either question, you will need a detailed consultation.
- Right before testing, cease all design changes to entire site collection until after migration and check in all pages, documents, and items.
To access SharePoint 2016 FAQs, click here.