Email is a mission-critical application. The current Exchange 2010 shared-service environment is reaching the end of if its useful life cycle. The project begins implementation of an upgrade from Exchange 2010 to Exchange 2016.
- Phase I – Perform an operational upgrade for the on-premises Exchange and IronPort applicance infrastructure by and move the alternate DR site from S&T to UMKC.
- Phase II – Conduct a technical investigation to prepare for a hybrid architecture using Microsoft Office 365 by mid 2017.
- Phase III – Based on the findings of the investigation above, develop a plan to implement the results of the investigation.
Phase I Deliverables
- On-premises Exchange replacement design.
- Hybrid architecture, including authentication infrastructure design.
- Equipment order and installation for Phase I on-premises replacement.
- Installation and configuration of a new/upgraded firewall and a new/upgraded hardware load balancer in the Columbia and UMKC sites.
- Configuration, testing, and deployment of Exchange 2016 for all campuses.
- Configuration, testing, and deployment of replacement IronPort infrastructure.
- Decommissioning Exchange 2010, DPM, and TMG infrastructure.
The upgraded Exchange 2016 environment will affect faculty and staff Exchange email users in a variety of ways.
- Email clients must be able to support the robust MAPI/HTTP environment.
- Direct MAPI access to mailboxes will no longer be available; all mailbox access will be via HTTPS.
- The following clients will no longer be supported:
- MAPI/CDO clients
- Outlook 2007
- Outlook for MAC 2008 EWS version
- Blackberry 5x
- Outlook Web App (OWA) will no longer have a built-in spell check service; the spell check features from the web browser will be used.
- There will be a change in selecting rooms for meetings.
- Managing sent mail for shared mailboxes will be affected.
- Record retention through Managed Folders will be changed.
20 — Customers using web-based clients will notice a design change beginning with the new Exchange 2016 Online Web Access splash page. The service migration begins on Thursday, Oct. 20. During the initial migration, you may receive a pop-up on your workstation asking you to allow changes. Please check Don't ask me about this website again and…
Continue reading Online Web Access and Exchange 2016 >>
19 — The current email quota of 15 GB will remain in Exchange 2016 with one exception – the Deleted Items folder will now count toward your quota. If you use Deleted Items as extended storage, you need to clean out unneeded, unwanted, or even old email. It is recommended that mailbox contents be managed in accordance…
Continue reading Deleted Items and Exchange 2016 Upgrade >>