Departmental Web Hosting Service
The Division of Information Technology offers web hosting on both Linux Apache and Microsoft Internet Information Server (IIS) platforms. Departmental Web Hosting Service offers the following benefits:
- Development and production web environments.
- Web server configurations that provide redundancy and fail-over in case of hardware failures or disasters to keep your site downtime to a minimum.
- System monitoring 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
- Virtual web hosting that allows your department or organization to focus on your unique identity (including look and feel) and offers an easy-to-remember and more attractive URL for users and print materials.
- Access to technical staff to assist with troubleshooting and consulting.
- Backup and restoration service.
- The ability to download server logs for analysis with other tools.
The Division of IT offers hosting for websites that require the Linux Apache web server and are not managed by the MU Cascade content management system (see below). Departmental or organizational websites receive a no-charge web hosting quota of 200 MB; any space required above the no-charge quota will be billed at $8.25/500 MB/month.
Microsoft IIS Websites
The Division of IT also offers Microsoft Internet Information Server for Microsoft-based web applications or for standard web page hosting not managed by the MU Cascade content management system (see below). Departmental or organizational websites receive a no-charge web hosting quota of 200 MB; any space required above the no-charge quota will be billed at $8.25/500 MB/month.
As part of a campuswide initiative, the Division of IT and MU Web Communications have jointly implemented the campus web content management system (CMS or Cascade Server). The CMS enables webmasters to manage their websites on the CMS server and deploy them to the appropriate web server. The Cascade CMS service is free of charge.
Cascade content management system: Departments can request CMS accounts by contacting MU Web Communications at (573)884-8075.
Domain name services: Please refer to the DNS and IP Services page.
If you would like to engage CSG consulting with regards to this service, please use the Server and Administration Services consultation request form.